diversite - Excuses officielles de la part de RMS concernant les vierges d'Emacs

Objet : Liste du groupe de travail Diversité (liste à inscription publique)

Excuses officielles de la part de RMS concernant les vierges d'Emacs

  • From: Rayna <rayna.st AT gmail.com>
  • To: APRIL Diversité <diversite AT april.org>
  • Subject: Excuses officielles de la part de RMS concernant les vierges d'Emacs
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:10:00 +0100

FIY :)

La blagounette de Richard Stallmann sur les vierges d'Emacs n'a pas fait que rire. En effet, plusieurs personnes ont souligné que la blague avait des relents sexistes (pour un peu plus de détails : http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/EMACS_virgins_joke).
Le mail ci-dessous a juste été envoyé à certaines listes de discussion (Gnome-women par exemple).

Some of the people in the audience in my speech in the Gran Canaria
Desktop Summit thought that my joke about the Virgin of Emacs was
intended to make some kind of statement about women.

I was surprised by that reaction, since I had told the same joke dozens
of times and this is the first report of interpreting it that way.  In
any case, it was a misunderstanding: the only intended meaning of the
Cult of the Virgin of Emacs is to parody another Cult of the Virgin.
The whole St IGNUius routine makes fun of me, the free software
movement and religion, through parody.

To be abundantly clear, my views about women in connection with free
software are simply that they deserve freedom in using computers, just
as men do.  Some women already appreciate this freedom and have become
free software activists.  We need more people, regardless of sex, to
do this, so that someday all women, and all men, will enjoy the
freedom that free software offers.

Misunderstanding is not a good outcome.  To help avoid
misunderstandings of this kind in the future, since August I have
changed the joke so that the Virgin of Emacs can be of either sex.

Rayna

--
"Change l'ordre du monde plutôt que tes désirs."

Membre de l'April - Promouvoir et défendre les logiciels libres

PhD Student
"Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics"
Ludwig-Maximilians University (LMU) of Munich

What happens when you've worked too long in the lab :
*You wonder what absolute alcohol tastes like with orange juice.
*Warning labels invoke curiosity rather than caution.
*The Christmas nightout reveals scientists can't dance, although a formula for the movement of hands and feet combined with beats per min is found scrawled on a napkin by a waiter the next day.
*When you have twins, you call one of them John and the other - Control.