trad-gnu - Re: [Trad Gnu] Supporter for translation

Objet : Liste de travail pour la traduction de la philosophie GNU (liste à inscription publique)

Re: [Trad Gnu] Supporter for translation

  • From: Thérèse Godefroy <tgodefroy AT april.org>
  • To: Zoe Kooyman <zoe AT fsf.org>
  • Cc: trad-gnu <trad-gnu AT april.org>, Frédéric Couchet <fcouchet AT april.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Trad Gnu] Supporter for translation
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:03:03 +0100

Hi Zoë,

Le 01/11/2021 à 22:03, Zoë Kooyman a écrit :
> Hi French team!
>
> I wasn't sure if we send you the markdown or if you pick up on the RSS
> but I figured I would just be sure, and then I thought i would take the
> opportunity to ask you some further questions about translations.

Thank you for sending the markdown version. It is very helpful because
Pandoc doesn't generate the proper flavor of markdown from HTML.
I don't know about RSS. It's probably still another format.

> If I understand correctly, you only translate the supporter and the
> appeal page (when it  comes and you have time -- which will be some time
> in November as well, so let me know :) )

Yes, and also articles on gnu.org, not to mention updates.

> We've been getting in some translations and we would like to stimulate
> that, but often they need a double check to confirm, and besides that,
> we have also identified some pages that we would like to make available
> in more languages on fsf.org.
>
> We've been thinking of doing an open call for more translators when the
> next Outreach Coordinator starts, because as I understood from Dana you
> already have quite a bit on your plate. When we do get translators
> however, we can then either introduce them to you, or we can set up a
> team for fsf.org pages separately to work on our wishlist, and I just
> wanted to hear your thoughts.

I think it would be better to set up a separate team to work on fsf.org
translations. trad-gnu can't take responsibility for another project:
there are few active members, and fewer still can devote more than one
hour every few months to translating; this is probably not enough for
what you have in mind.

I also have mixed feelings about double-checking the work of other
translators. Either they are experienced, and most likely trad-gnu
members couldn't improve their translations, or they are beginners, and
it would take longer to proofread their work than to translate from scratch.

That said, we can occasionally lend you a hand if you are in a bind.

> I would still like for you to continue the translations for the
> Supporter and appeal page no matter what, I don't want to change any
> ways of working but if we can, potentially we can add to it.

I think we can handle the FSS and the appeal page.

> Attached the November Supporter

The French translation is attached.

> Thanks!!

All the best,