trad-gnu - Re: [TRAD GNU] stallman-mec-india à découper ?

Objet : Liste de travail pour la traduction de la philosophie GNU (liste à inscription publique)

Re: [TRAD GNU] stallman-mec-india à découper ?

  • From: Therese Godefroy <godef.th AT free.fr>
  • To: trad-gnu AT april.org
  • Subject: Re: [TRAD GNU] stallman-mec-india à découper ?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:02:17 +0200

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE
# Copyright (C) YEAR Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR.
#
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2011-07-14 04:30-0300\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL AT li.org>\n"

#. type: Content of: <h3>
msgid "Questions from the audience"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <p>
msgid "Now I'll answer questions."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <p>
msgid ""
"Oh, by the way any journos over here, I would recommend writing articles "
"about software patents separately, from articles about free software.  If "
"you cover them in one article together, people may get the idea that "
"software patents are only bad for the free software developers and they are "
"okay for other software developers."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <p>
msgid ""
"This is not true, if you think back of what I have said, hardly any of it "
"relates to the question of whether the programs are free or not, the dangers "
"of the same for all software developers.  So please don't take the risk, the "
"people will get confused, write separate articles."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, you said that companies like IBM are harmed 10 times as much "
"as they benefit?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: No.  What I said is the harm that would had happened to them is 10 "
"times the benefit, but this harm is purely theoretical, it doesn't occur.  "
"You see, they avoid it through cross-licensing.  So in fact, the harm does "
"not happen."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: But it is only neutralized, they don't really benefit?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Well, they do, you see, because, the bare aspect they avoid "
"through cross licensing and meanwhile they do collect money from some other "
"licensees.  So they are benefiting in total.  There is the small benefit "
"which happens and the big potential harm which does not happen.  So you have "
"zero plus something for the benefit."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: But for that something will oppose this movement against patents?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Right, IBM favors software patents.  I had trouble one, I couldn't "
"hear all the words in your sentence.  I don't know whether there was a "
"&lsquo;not&rsquo; in it.  I couldn't tell, there are two diametrically "
"opposite meanings for what you have said, so what you can do is make sure "
"that the situation is clear.  IBM favors software patents, IBM thinks it "
"stands to gain a lot from software patents.  So what it stands to gain is "
"that the IBM and the other very big companies would basically control "
"software development, because it will be very hard to do independent "
"software development."
msgstr ""

msgid ""
"To develop nontrivial programs you're going to have to infringe patents of "
"IBMs. Now if you are big and often lucky enough, you might have some patents "
"of your own and make IBM cross-license with you.  Otherwise you are "
"completely at their mercy and you have to hope that they just let you pay "
"the money."
msgstr ""

msgid "Is someone else asking?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, what was the reason for the development of the software "
"patent?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Well, in the US, there was no reason, somebody tried to get a "
"patent, that was a software patent, and, I think, the patent office said no, "
"so he took it to court and eventually went to the supreme court and they, "
"they didn't judge it as a public policy question, they judged it in terms of "
"what did the law say."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: So was it not the realization that &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Sorry, I can't &hellip; could you try to pronounce your consonants "
"more clearly, I'm having trouble understanding the words."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: So was it not the realization that copyright is notoriously weak "
"for protecting software?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Copyright is not only what?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Notoriously weak&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Well, I think the whole sentence is not sensible, I don't "
"understand the term protecting software, and I don't agree with you."
msgstr ""

msgid "Most programmers don't agree with you."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: So when you are saying that you are not favoring protection of "
"software and you yourself is giving General Public License, where do you get "
"that power to issue General Public License?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: OK, you are asking questions about copyright and Free Software "
"which is not the topic now, I will accept questions about that later on, but "
"I gave the speech about software patents and i want to answer questions "
"about software patents."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir I have a question about software patents, the thing is that "
"how can one protect where there is a functional element &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Protect what?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Functional element&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: What is gonna happen to them?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Sir, how can we get a protection when there is a&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Protection from what? Somebody gonna come with a gun?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: No Sir &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Basically the protection you need is the protection against being "
"sued for the program you wrote, programmers need protection from software "
"patents."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: No it is not the programmers themselves sir, they are companies "
"who have invested in something?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: And you what the company get sued because in your large program "
"there are five different things that somebody, that five different people "
"already patented.  Now its clear to see the myth that you are operating on, "
"its the naive idea that when you develop the program you will have the "
"patent.  Well, the idea, that very statement contains a mistake because "
"there is no such thing as &lsquo;will patent&rsquo; when you develop a "
"program with many different things in it, there are many things each of "
"which might be patented by somebody else already, and you find out about "
"them one by one when they come to you saying either &ldquo;pay us a lot of "
"money or else shut down&rdquo; and when you duel with five of them you never "
"know when number six is going to come along.  It's much safer to be in the "
"software field if you know you are not going to get sued as long as you "
"wrote the program yourself."
msgstr ""

msgid ""
"That's the way was before software patents &mdash; if you wrote the program "
"yourself there is nothing to sue you about.  Today you can write the program "
"yourself, it may even be an useful and innovative program but because you "
"didn't reinvent the whole field, you use some ideas that were already known, "
"other people sue you.  Of course, those people who wanna go around suing "
"you, they are going to pretend that this extortion is protection for them, "
"protection from what, protection from having competitors, I guess, they "
"don't believe in competition, they want monopolies."
msgstr ""

msgid ""
"Well, to hell with them.  It's not good for the public that they should get "
"what they want, this is the question of public policy.  We have to decide "
"what is good for the citizens generally."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Audience</b>: [applause]"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Not have somebody saying &ldquo;I wanna have a monopoly because I "
"think I am so important, so I should have one, so protect me from anybody "
"else being allowed to develop software&rdquo;."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: You are suggesting that we should avoid making a battleground for "
"patency, don't we still have to see the problem that there are a lot of "
"American products being sold here and&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Well&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: &hellip; and we are still going to be mistaken&hellip;?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: No! No, you misunderstood, US developers may be in trouble because "
"of the patent system and what effect will that have, it means that their "
"certain products that wouldn't be coming from the US and therefore they "
"wouldn't be sold in the US or here.  You see, if the developer is in the US "
"and there is a US software patent, that software developer is going to get "
"sued there, whether or not he tries with anybody in India he is going to get "
"sued.  But the fact that he is distributing the program in India is not "
"going to cause him an additional problem because that is under the "
"jurisdiction of India, that's the one thing he will not get sued for.  So, "
"basically, what it means is whatever exists can be distributed in India, "
"safely, and the developers who are lucky enough to be in India would be safe "
"from this kind of gang warfare, and those who are unlucky enough to be in "
"the US will not be safe."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, are you basically against the very concept of intellectual "
"property rights?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: As I said in the beginning, it is foolish even to think about that "
"topic, that topic is an overgeneralization.  It lumps together totally "
"different things like copyrights and patents and so any opinion about "
"co-intellectual property is a foolish one.  I don't have an opinion about "
"intellectual property, I have opinions about copyrights and I have "
"completely different opinions about patents and even in the area of patents, "
"know, I have different opinions in different fields.  Even that area is a "
"big area.  And then their trademarks which are also called intellectual "
"property, I think trademarks are basically a good idea."
msgstr ""

msgid ""
"The US has taken trademarks all little too far.  But, basically it is "
"reasonable to have labels that you can rely on.  So you shouldn't try to "
"have an opinion about intellectual property.  If you are thinking about "
"intellectual property, you are thinking at a simplistic level.  And any "
"conclusions you reach will be simplistic.  So do as I do, you know, pick one "
"topic at a time and focus on it and find out the details about that one "
"area, then you can think intelligently about that area and later on you can "
"think intelligently about the other areas too."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: So there is an argument that if particular intellectual property "
"right is not protected&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: I'm sorry, what you are saying makes no sense at all and is at a "
"foolish general level&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Let me complete sir, if that particular intellectual property "
"right is not protected, it may impede the investment, and this "
"impediment&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: This generalistic thinking is so simplistic, it's totally stupid.  "
"It makes no sense at all.  There is no principle of intellectual property.  "
"Copyrights and patents and trademarks originated completely separately, they "
"have nothing in common, except later somebody else made up this term "
"&ldquo;intellectual property&rdquo; to call them all while."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Sir, will you extend this concept to the physical property?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: No, I'm sorry, none of these things has anything to do with the "
"physical property rights, they are totally different.  What do you say "
"extend &ldquo;this concept&rdquo;? Which is this &ldquo;concept&rdquo;? The "
"idea that the term &ldquo;intellectual property&rdquo; is a generalization "
"that leads you into simplistic thinking.  Should we apply that to physical "
"property? No, they are totally different.  They have nothing in common."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: So the basis under which this intellectual property is protected "
"is &ldquo;protect the labor&rdquo;, &ldquo;intellectual labor&rdquo;?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: No! No, you are totally wrong, you are totally wrong.  The purpose "
"of you have been brainwashed, you have been listening to the propaganda of "
"the companies that want to have these monopolies.  If you ask what legal "
"scholars say is the basis of these systems.  They say that their attempts, "
"for copyrights and for patents, their attempts to manipulate the behavior of "
"people to get benefit for the public.  Trademarks are a different issue, I "
"think the issues for trademark are completely different.  So you are making "
"an overgeneralisation also."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: So why can't we extend the very same principle &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: But in any case, your principle is wrong and if you take a look at "
"that economic research on www.researchoninnovation.org you will see that you "
"are making naive statements, naive blind statements that are simply not "
"true.  You got the silly idea that creating a monopoly over some aspect of "
"life always invariably makes that aspect of life thrive.  Well this is "
"dumb.  Occasionally it might work, and occasionally it causes a lot of "
"troubles."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Don't you think that the same kind of monopoly is created in favor "
"of a party when he owns a physical property?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: I'm sorry, I can't hear you."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, don't you think that the same kind of monopoly rights are "
"created if a particular physical property is allowed to be owned by a "
"person, just like an intellectual property?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Physical property can only be in one place at a time, you know, "
"only one person can sit in a chair at a time in the normal way.  You know "
"these are totally different issues, you know trying to generalize to the "
"utmost is a foolish thing to do, you are doing with complicated words that "
"have many, many, many complicated details and you are asking us to ignore "
"all these details and you are doing with words that have complicated effects "
"in various fields and you are asking us to ignore the details of their "
"effects.  Don't bother judging this program by its results.  I think that if "
"we were talking about a public policy issue, we got to look at the actual "
"results of the policy, not some myths to what results a certain ideology "
"would predict, I'm telling you the real results, I'm telling you what I have "
"seen and what other programmers have seen."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Sir, what about the LZW patent? Is it &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: What about the &lsquo;what&rsquo;?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: LZW patent?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: The LZW patent?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Yeah. Is it still in effect?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Yes, it is. Well, there are two LZW patents as I explained to you "
"and they are both still in effect."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Sir, so its for 20 years?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Yeah, it's not 20 years yet."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, can we reduce the scope of the problem by reducing the period "
"of the patent?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Definitely, you could.  If there were software patents, but they "
"only lasted for, say, 5 years or three years, that would mostly solve the "
"problem.  Yes it's a pain to have to wait 3 or 5 years, but it's much, much "
"less of a pain.  But, but there is a difficulty there.  The GATT agreements "
"say that patents must last 20 years.  So the only way you could have "
"something like a software pattern which lasted for 3 or 5 years is as "
"follows."
msgstr ""

msgid ""
"First, make it clear that ordinary patents do not apply and second, if you "
"wish you could create this different system of five-year software idea "
"monopolies.  Well, it's not clear that there is any particular benefit in "
"this five-year software monopolies but it would be much better in the "
"current situation.  So if you found the government prepared to make this "
"deal, well, I would say, we should take it. But, but we have to realize, "
"though, that the first step is to abolish software patents strictly "
"speaking, and that has to be part of this deal."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: So and patent has also now become victim of &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you, could you speak louder?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, patent has now become a way of making money by businesses "
"rather than promoting inventions?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Yes, a lot of them use it that way."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: So, sir, can we reduce this problem further by assigning the "
"patent to the actual inventor rather than a business&hellip;?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Not really.  What you find is that, that aspect of the "
"relationship between the employee and the business is something that gets "
"negotiated and the business has more cloud, so they are always going in the "
"end of ranging to have the employee and the patent of the company.  The "
"other thing is that it doesn't make a big difference who owns the patent.  "
"The point is that you are prohibited from developing a program using that "
"idea and it may make some difference precisely who has the power to sue "
"you.  But what you really want is not to be sued on.  So why look for a half "
"measure like this? Or its much better just to say that software shouldn't "
"have patents?"
msgstr ""

msgid ""
"Okay, if you gonna pass a note, you better read it out loud.  Any other "
"questions?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: People who are being to Malaysia say that, if we buy a PC there, "
"the amount of money we would pay for all the standard software is about a "
"tenth of what we should pay in this country.  In Malaysia they are little "
"more relaxed about patents and copyrights?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Well, are you not sure what you are talking about, you seem to "
"mixing together copyrights and patents, I'm not sure what you are talking "
"about has anything to do with the issue of software patents."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Precisely what I want to know is about&hellip; this is something "
"to do with patents&hellip;?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Probably not."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Different countries depending on how much, whether they are part "
"of WTO or not part of WTO &hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: No, no."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: &hellip;I think matter&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: You see, I don't know for certain because I don't know what's "
"going on their either, I'd never been there but I suspect that it's a matter "
"of copyrights and has nothing to do with patents, because if you are talking "
"about the same programs, remember, software patents are primarily a "
"restriction on software developers.  So it's the same program that was "
"developed, say, in the US, the patent problems they have are independent of, "
"you know, the patent problems they have are biggest in the US, not in either "
"India or Malaysia, so, that probably has to do with copyrights not patents "
"and that's a totally different issue, we mustn't lump these issues together."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Sir earlier you've told that&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: I'm sorry I can't hear you."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Earlier in your speech you've told that software that should be "
"brought under the purvey of patents&hellip; is what you defined that as what "
"can be run on a general purpose machine."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: I'm afraid I can't &hellip; can anyone understand what he's saying "
"? I cannot understand your words.  If you make an attempt to enunciate more "
"clearly I may be able to understand."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: You had spoken earlier that software that should be patented is, "
"you defined that as, software that can be run on a general purpose "
"machine&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: I'm sorry I didn't say that software should be patented, so I just "
"cant make out these words.  Maybe if you tell that to someone else, the "
"other person could say it I could understand."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Software patents, like whatever you call software patents, like "
"those are what can be run on a general purpose machine.  So if some "
"algorithm or some piece of software is capable of being executed on a "
"general purpose machine, it should not be patented."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Yes.  Now I can hear you, yes.  One of the things I proposed was "
"that patent should not apply to software for general purpose machines or the "
"use of it on those general purpose machines.  So that if you develop that "
"program or if you are using that program you couldn't be sued."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: We've an increasing number of software now being run on a general "
"purpose machine."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Well, then that would be covered still by software patents so "
"there wouldn't be a total a solution, but at least there would be a partial "
"solution."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: So if the defining line is general purpose machines, don't you see "
"there's a possibility that people could find loopholes in it, like, to find "
"or workarounds for&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: I'm sorry do I see a possibility for people would do what?"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: &hellip;of finding loopholes or workarounds of converting what you "
"would call software patents into get it actually patented."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: I'm sorry I do not understand.  Loopholes to do&hellip; I'm "
"sorry.  What people would do, what software developers would do in that "
"situation is use general purpose machines more."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Some algorithm can be run on a general purpose machine &mdash; "
"what I'd say that that algorithm I'm using it for some embedded device and "
"go ahead and patent it."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Why you could try it, you misunderstood.  The point is that, you "
"misunderstood what the solution is.  The solution is that if I'm using in "
"developing the software on general purpose machines then nobody can sue me "
"for patent infringement.  So yes, somebody could get a patent and may be he "
"could sue others who are doing specialized things which involve particular "
"hardware.  But they couldn't sue me."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Excuse me sir, may I ask a question."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid "<b>A</b>: Yes."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Sir, you spoke of general purpose machines. In the sense, how "
"would you define these machines, because these days you have a lot of custom "
"made handheld devices etc.  Now some way&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: No, hand held computers are general purpose when they are not "
"designed to carry out a specific computation or a specific physical "
"process.  They're general purpose computers.  They have general purpose "
"computer chips in them."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Then the idea would be contestable in a court of law as together "
"it's a general purpose&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: I guess, what has to be, yeah.  The precise details of drawing "
"these lines, one ends up having to leave to judges."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: Thank you sir."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid ""
"<b>Q</b>: Germany and France, the only countries who has said no to patents "
"in Europe&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Well, I don't know the full situation.  Those are the just the "
"ones I know of.  The last time there was a vote there were going to be a "
"majority of no votes, and so they dropped the issue.  And I don't remember "
"the other countries."
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dt>
msgid "<b>Q</b>: There's no European community decision on this&hellip;"
msgstr ""

#. type: Content of: <dl><dd>
msgid ""
"<b>A</b>: Not yet.  In fact, the European Commission itself is divided.  One "
"of the agencies &mdash; the one which unfortunately is the lead agency on "
"this issue &mdash; has been won over by multinationals and is in favor of "
"software patents and then the agency that's trusted to encourage software "
"development is against them, and so they're trying to work against it.  So "
"somebody who want to get in touch with the official incharge of the agency "
"that is opposed to software patents, I can put them in touch."
msgstr ""