trad-gnu - [Trad Gnu] Re: Urgent: using the GNU 30th logo on a t-shirt

Objet : Liste de travail pour la traduction de la philosophie GNU (liste à inscription publique)

[Trad Gnu] Re: Urgent: using the GNU 30th logo on a t-shirt

  • From: Zak Rogoff <zak AT fsf.org>
  • To: "Tiberiu C. Turbureanu" <tct AT ceata.org>
  • Cc: www-discuss AT gnu.org, trad-gnu AT april.org, ineiev AT gnu.org
  • Subject: [Trad Gnu] Re: Urgent: using the GNU 30th logo on a t-shirt
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:56:01 -0400

On 09/09/2013 01:09 AM, Tiberiu C. Turbureanu wrote:
> În 2013-09-09 06:58, Ineiev a scris:
>> Hello, Luca;
>>
>> On 09/08/2013 10:18 PM, Luca Saiu wrote:
>>> I'm trying to have custom t-shirts made for the Paris anniversary
>>> celebration, which will be earlier than the others.
>>>
>>> I'd like to use a modified version of a translation of the gnu30
>>> banner;
>>> the translated version is:
>>> http://listes.april.org/wws/arc/trad-gnu/2013-09/msg00009/gnu-30-1.fr.svg
>>>

>>> I've tentatively adapted it into this image:
>>> http://ageinghacker.net/gnu30-scratch/gnu-30-1.fr-t-shirt.svg
>>>
>>> Now, the problem is that CC BY-SA 2.0 requires attribution, and a line
>>> of legal notices would look pretty ugly on a t-shirt. By the way, I
>>> can't even find an explicit author mentioned anywhere, so the notice
>>> doesn't seem very useful anyway.
>>
>> Empty attribution is still an attribution IMVHO.
>
> In Creative Commons, what is considered attribution is decided by the
> copyright holder. The author being employed or volunteer of FSF, I
> assume a copyright assignment to FSF was done (by default base on the
> contract or explicitly for this work).
>
> I would recommend FSF specifies (on the anniversary page) that the
> attribution required is mentioning the website gnu.org. I hope this
> helps.
>
>>> For these reasons, I'd ask you to please let me use a derivative
>>> work of
>>> your design for printing on t-shirts, without attribution. I need the
>>> permission of the author of the original design on gnu.org, and the
>>> French translator -- whoever they are. If I don't get that, I'll need
>>> to add some ugly small text somewhere, polluting a very clean design.
>>>
>>> Of course I have no problems publishing an electronic copy somewhere
>>> with full legal notices.
>>
>> CCing Zak Rogoff who submitted the banner to webmasters.

Hi everyone, thanks for CCing me.

Luca -- It's totally fine to use the graphic on a shirt without a
attribution on the shirt. Glad you like it!

Tiberiu -- Good point about the need to specify who should be
attributed. I'll touch base with the FSF leadership about this and add
whatever we decide to the RT tickets for changes to the GNU30 Web sites.

--
Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager, Free Software Foundation