trad-gnu - Re: [Trad Gnu] Transcription et sous-titrage de la conférence TEDx Geneva de RMS

Objet : Liste de travail pour la traduction de la philosophie GNU (liste à inscription publique)

Re: [Trad Gnu] Transcription et sous-titrage de la conférence TEDx Geneva de RMS

  • From: Thérèse Godefroy <godef.th AT free.fr>
  • To: trad-gnu AT april.org
  • Subject: Re: [Trad Gnu] Transcription et sous-titrage de la conférence TEDx Geneva de RMS
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:41:32 +0100

Rebonjour,

Le 29/01/2017 09:28, Thérèse Godefroy a écrit :
> C'est super qu'elle ait des
> sous-titres en anglais (d'ailleurs pas du tout formatés), mais comment
> on fait pour les récupérer ??
>
> La vidéo non sous-titrée existe aussi sur gnu.org :
> http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/TEDxGE2014_Stallman05_HQ.ogv
> http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/TEDxGE2014_Stallman05_LQ.webm

Pour gagner du temps, je viens de faire les sous-titres en anglais avec
Aegisub (voir pj). Mais il y a plusieurs endroits où un ou 2 mots sont
remplacés par *** parce que je n'ai pas compris. Si personne ne peut
compléter, je demanderai à RMS ce qu'il a voulu dire.

Amicalement,
Thérèse

1
00:00:11,000 --> 00:00:17,400
Free software is the first battle in the liberation of cyberspace.

2
00:00:17,400 --> 00:00:21,100
Who controls your computer? Is it you,

3
00:00:21,120 --> 00:00:25,700
or is it some big company that's really controlling it?

4
00:00:25,700 --> 00:00:31,440
Well, what is a computer? A computer is a universal machine.

5
00:00:31,440 --> 00:00:34,760
It will do any computation you wanted to,

6
00:00:34,780 --> 00:00:39,680
because you give it a program that says what the computation is that you want.

7
00:00:39,680 --> 00:00:43,940
So the computer only knows how to get out an instruction and do it,

8
00:00:43,940 --> 00:00:45,940
and get out another instruction and do it.

9
00:00:45,940 --> 00:00:48,380
The program has the instructions;

10
00:00:48,380 --> 00:00:53,050
it says what to do. So you, by writing the right program

11
00:00:53,060 --> 00:00:56,450
you can make it do anything... Well, almost anything.

12
00:00:56,460 --> 00:01:00,500
Who gives the instructions to your computer?

13
00:01:00,500 --> 00:01:04,060
You might think it's obeying your instructions

14
00:01:04,060 --> 00:01:07,180
when really it's obeying somebody else first,

15
00:01:07,180 --> 00:01:11,520
and you, only as much as that company wants it to,

16
00:01:11,520 --> 00:01:13,520
will let it listen to you.

17
00:01:13,520 --> 00:01:15,960
With software, there are two possibilities:

18
00:01:15,960 --> 00:01:18,420
either the users control the program,

19
00:01:18,420 --> 00:01:21,420
or the program controls the users.

20
00:01:21,420 --> 00:01:23,420
It's inevitably one or the other.

21
00:01:23,420 --> 00:01:27,020
So, in order for the users to control the program,

22
00:01:27,020 --> 00:01:29,960
they need the four essential freedoms,

23
00:01:29,980 --> 00:01:34,480
and that's the definition of free software.

24
00:01:34,500 --> 00:01:38,180
Free software respects the users' freedom and community.

25
00:01:38,180 --> 00:01:42,280
We often call it “libre”, using the French or Spanish word.

26
00:01:42,280 --> 00:01:44,280
Pronounce it as you like. The point is

27
00:01:44,280 --> 00:01:47,240
that's what we mean. We don't mean it's gratis.

28
00:01:47,240 --> 00:01:50,700
We're not talking about price. We are concerned with your freedom,

29
00:01:50,700 --> 00:01:54,880
and we sometimes say free/libre to show that.

30
00:01:54,880 --> 00:02:01,120
Freedom 0 is the freedom to run the program as you wish, for whatever purpose.

31
00:02:01,140 --> 00:02:05,300
Freedom 1 is the freedom to study the source code of the program,

32
00:02:05,300 --> 00:02:09,680
and change it so it does the computing you wanted to do.

33
00:02:09,680 --> 00:02:14,360
But what is the source code? Every program typically will have two forms.

34
00:02:14,360 --> 00:02:20,340
There is the form that you can read, and you can understand if you know the
programming language.

35
00:02:20,340 --> 00:02:24,300
That's the source; that's what programmers write and change.

36
00:02:24,300 --> 00:02:29,300
And there's the executable, which is a bunch of numbers which even a
programmer can't figure out.

37
00:02:29,300 --> 00:02:32,700
If all you get is the executable, it's a horrible pain in the neck

38
00:02:32,700 --> 00:02:36,100
to figure out what it does, and even harder to change it.

39
00:02:36,100 --> 00:02:41,000
To give you the real possibility to study and change it.

40
00:02:41,000 --> 00:02:44,360
they've got to give you the source code. That's a requirement.

41
00:02:44,360 --> 00:02:49,320
Well, with those two freedoms, each user separately

42
00:02:49,320 --> 00:02:53,920
can make a copy and start changing it, and make it do what she wants.

43
00:02:53,920 --> 00:02:58,840
That's individual control. But what if you're not a programmer?

44
00:02:58,840 --> 00:03:01,460
You look at the source code, and you don't understand it.

45
00:03:01,460 --> 00:03:04,560
Individual control isn't enough.

46
00:03:04,560 --> 00:03:07,680
We also need collective control, which means

47
00:03:07,680 --> 00:03:10,300
any group of users are free to work together

48
00:03:10,300 --> 00:03:12,740
to adapt the program to what they want.

49
00:03:12,740 --> 00:03:15,920
Of course, in the group some of them are programmers.

50
00:03:15,920 --> 00:03:18,660
They are the ones who actually write the changes.

51
00:03:18,660 --> 00:03:22,300
But they are doing it as part of the group, for what the group wants.

52
00:03:22,300 --> 00:03:25,080
Of course, the group doesn't have to be everybody,

53
00:03:25,080 --> 00:03:27,540
Others can use it some other way.

54
00:03:27,540 --> 00:03:29,040
They are all free to do that.

55
00:03:29,040 --> 00:03:33,520
Collective control requires two more essential freedoms.

56
00:03:33,520 --> 00:03:36,820
Freedom 2 is the freedom to redistribute exact copies,

57
00:03:36,820 --> 00:03:39,820
to make the copies, and then give them away or sell them

58
00:03:39,820 --> 00:03:44,960
when you wish. And freedom 3 is similar, but it's for your modified versions.

59
00:03:44,960 --> 00:03:49,040
You're free to make copies, and then give them or sell them when you wish.

60
00:03:49,040 --> 00:03:51,040
If you do have these freedoms,

61
00:03:51,040 --> 00:03:54,000
then it's free software; the users control the program.

62
00:03:54,000 --> 00:03:56,620
But if any of these freedoms is missing,

63
00:03:56,620 --> 00:03:59,520
then the users don't control the program.

64
00:03:59,520 --> 00:04:02,100
Instead, the program controls the users,

65
00:04:02,100 --> 00:04:05,440
and the developer controls the program.

66
00:04:05,440 --> 00:04:10,500
So that means this program is an instrument of unjust power

67
00:04:10,500 --> 00:04:14,380
for its developer over the users.

68
00:04:14,380 --> 00:04:17,400
That means the users don't have freedom.

69
00:04:17,400 --> 00:04:21,320
That's non-free proprietary software which we've got to get rid of.

70
00:04:21,320 --> 00:04:25,100
Well, when you've got proprietary software, what happens?

71
00:04:25,100 --> 00:04:28,700
Sometimes, the program snoops on the user.

72
00:04:28,700 --> 00:04:32,100
Sometimes it tracks the user.

73
00:04:32,100 --> 00:04:35,300
Sometimes it restricts the user,

74
00:04:35,300 --> 00:04:38,000
it stops users from doing what they want to do.

75
00:04:38,000 --> 00:04:41,300
You can see that the blue ray is your enemy.

76
00:04:41,300 --> 00:04:45,800
Sometimes, the software remotely deletes books

77
00:04:45,800 --> 00:04:48,800
as Amazon did with “1984”.

78
00:04:48,800 --> 00:04:53,100
Sometimes, the developer

79
00:04:53,100 --> 00:04:58,100
compels users to install a harmful upgrade

80
00:04:58,100 --> 00:05:01,400
by threatening to take away other functionality

81
00:05:01,400 --> 00:05:04,500
if it's not installed, as Sony did.

82
00:05:04,500 --> 00:05:08,200
And sometimes they can even forcibly change the software

83
00:05:08,200 --> 00:05:11,500
at a distance, as Microsoft can with Windows,

84
00:05:11,500 --> 00:05:13,700
through a universal back door.

85
00:05:13,700 --> 00:05:18,100
Sometimes they even sabotize users,

86
00:05:18,100 --> 00:05:21,300
as Microsoft does when it tells the NSA

87
00:05:21,300 --> 00:05:23,340
about bugs in Windows,

88
00:05:23,340 --> 00:05:26,400
so it can use them to attack people's computers.

89
00:05:26,400 --> 00:05:30,700
Well, what you get is basically: with proprietary software

90
00:05:30,700 --> 00:05:33,500
the owner has power over the users,

91
00:05:33,500 --> 00:05:36,000
and takes advantage of this power

92
00:05:36,000 --> 00:05:39,600
putting in those various malicious functionalities

93
00:05:39,600 --> 00:05:41,600
to hurt the users.

94
00:05:41,600 --> 00:05:44,800
Of course they don't do this because they are sadists.

95
00:05:44,800 --> 00:05:47,400
They're doing it just for money, for greed.

96
00:05:47,400 --> 00:05:51,100
They have various ways that they can profit

97
00:05:51,100 --> 00:05:53,500
from having this power over users,

98
00:05:53,500 --> 00:05:58,000
which does not make it even the tiniest bit less evil.

99
00:05:58,000 --> 00:06:00,100
But they have no shame about it.

100
00:06:00,100 --> 00:06:02,600
They have conferences where they talk about

101
00:06:02,600 --> 00:06:06,100
the latest ways they can take advantage of users

102
00:06:06,100 --> 00:06:08,100
through the power they have.

103
00:06:08,100 --> 00:06:11,000
Basically, proprietary software, which is now

104
00:06:11,000 --> 00:06:17,000
— almost all the users of proprietary software, they are using —

105
00:06:17,000 --> 00:06:20,400
proprietary malware, it's software for suckers.

106
00:06:20,400 --> 00:06:24,600
So, how do you stop being a victim?

107
00:06:24,600 --> 00:06:28,800
Formerly, you had to stop using computers, but not anymore.

108
00:06:28,800 --> 00:06:32,400
Now you can come join us in the free world that we've built.

109
00:06:32,400 --> 00:06:36,000
In 1983,

110
00:06:36,000 --> 00:06:40,600
I announced I would develop a completely free software operating system.

111
00:06:40,600 --> 00:06:43,500
called GNU. In 1992,

112
00:06:43,500 --> 00:06:47,200
we had it almost finished, but one piece was missing,

113
00:06:47,200 --> 00:06:50,200
the kernel. Linus Torvalds in that year

114
00:06:50,200 --> 00:06:55,000
freed his kernel Linux, which filled the last gap, and gave us

115
00:06:55,000 --> 00:06:59,500
the first complete system you could run on a PC, GNU + Linux.

116
00:06:59,500 --> 00:07:02,700
Unfortunately,

117
00:07:02,700 --> 00:07:07,000
having freedom in one more point doesn't guarantee you'll keep it.

118
00:07:07,000 --> 00:07:13,100
There are over a thousand different variants of GNU/Linux; they are called
distributions.

119
00:07:13,100 --> 00:07:16,100
A few of them are entirely free software.

120
00:07:16,100 --> 00:07:19,000
Most of them have non-free software added,

121
00:07:19,000 --> 00:07:22,600
because they are maintained by people who aren't concerned about freedom.

122
00:07:22,600 --> 00:07:26,600
They'd rather add convenience at the cost of freedom.

123
00:07:26,600 --> 00:07:30,500
So, you have to check which is a free distro.

124
00:07:30,500 --> 00:07:33,800
To keep your freedom sometimes requires a sacrifice,

125
00:07:33,800 --> 00:07:37,500
sometimes a big sacrifice, as at Lexington.

126
00:07:37,500 --> 00:07:43,600
Sometimes, but *** campaign they tend to be little sacrifices.

127
00:07:43,600 --> 00:07:48,100
Anybody with a little bit of maturity can make these sacrifices.

128
00:07:48,100 --> 00:07:50,900
For instance, you want applications

129
00:07:50,900 --> 00:07:52,600
but some of them are non-free.

130
00:07:52,600 --> 00:07:55,300
If you want freedom, you've got to do without them.

131
00:07:55,300 --> 00:07:59,000
So there may be some inconveniences throughout to suffer,

132
00:07:59,000 --> 00:08:01,000
for your freedom's sake.

133
00:08:01,000 --> 00:08:07,200
Then many websites send non-free programs written in JavaScript

134
00:08:07,200 --> 00:08:09,000
to the user's browser.

135
00:08:09,000 --> 00:08:11,400
If you don't want to run non-free programs,

136
00:08:11,400 --> 00:08:13,800
you should install LibreJS

137
00:08:13,800 --> 00:08:17,100
which blocks, keeps out non-free JavaScript.

138
00:08:17,100 --> 00:08:21,900
And sometimes, servers will offer to do your computing.

139
00:08:21,900 --> 00:08:25,900
They say: “Send us all your data” — obviously for suckers.

140
00:08:26,000 --> 00:08:30,000
Then the server does the computing and sends you back the results.

141
00:08:30,000 --> 00:08:32,800
But you're not supposed to think about what's happening,

142
00:08:32,800 --> 00:08:37,200
because it's a cloud, and you don't see what's going on.

143
00:08:37,200 --> 00:08:42,200
Well, you should look. It's “service as a software substitute”,

144
00:08:42,200 --> 00:08:45,300
and it takes away control of your computing.

145
00:08:45,300 --> 00:08:47,300
So,

146
00:08:47,300 --> 00:08:50,000
a large fraction of the world's web servers

147
00:08:50,000 --> 00:08:52,900
are running GNU/Linux and other free software,

148
00:08:52,900 --> 00:08:56,800
but I think the most important computers to put freedom in

149
00:08:56,800 --> 00:09:00,700
are your computers, not companies' web servers.

150
00:09:00,700 --> 00:09:05,600
They deserve freedom also, but above all it's people that deserve freedom.

151
00:09:05,600 --> 00:09:10,000
So, we need to advance, and to do that

152
00:09:10,000 --> 00:09:12,100
we have to cross obstacles.

153
00:09:12,100 --> 00:09:14,500
One of them is, there are big companies

154
00:09:14,500 --> 00:09:17,500
that make a lot of money by having control over users,

155
00:09:17,500 --> 00:09:19,800
and they don't want to let us advance.

156
00:09:19,800 --> 00:09:22,600
We have to overcome their opposition.

157
00:09:22,600 --> 00:09:27,100
Another is that mainstream media don't talk about free software.

158
00:09:27,100 --> 00:09:32,200
They have a term that they use to bury these ethical issues.

159
00:09:32,200 --> 00:09:34,900
They say “open source” instead.

160
00:09:34,900 --> 00:09:39,400
Now, it talks about more or less the same programs,

161
00:09:39,400 --> 00:09:43,500
but with different ideas. Where free software activists say:

162
00:09:43,500 --> 00:09:45,500
“This is a matter of right and wrong.

163
00:09:45,500 --> 00:09:47,900
Users deserve freedom, we demand freedom,”

164
00:09:47,900 --> 00:09:50,600
the people who say “open source”, they don't want to say that.

165
00:09:50,600 --> 00:09:55,700
So, instead, they say: ”Let the users change the software and redistribute it,

166
00:09:55,700 --> 00:09:59,000
and they'll make the code better. They'll fix some bugs.”

167
00:09:59,000 --> 00:10:01,600
It may be true, but it's a less important issue.

168
00:10:01,600 --> 00:10:04,700
If we want to keep our freedom, we've got to talk about freedom.

169
00:10:04,700 --> 00:10:08,200
So, say “free software”, and you're helping us every time.

170
00:10:08,200 --> 00:10:12,500
Another obstacle is that lots of schools teach non-free software,

171
00:10:12,500 --> 00:10:16,100
which is basically like teaching the kids to smoke tobacco.

172
00:10:16,100 --> 00:10:20,400
Its implanting dependence, which is the opposite of what schools should do.

173
00:10:20,400 --> 00:10:25,400
A school should prepare citizens to live in a

174
00:10:25,400 --> 00:10:30,800
strong, capable, independent, cooperating, and free society,

175
00:10:30,800 --> 00:10:34,200
which means teaching free software in a school.

176
00:10:34,200 --> 00:10:37,400
But there is another reason to do that for education.

177
00:10:37,400 --> 00:10:40,600
Some kids want to become programmers, they are curious.

178
00:10:40,600 --> 00:10:42,460
They want to know how the program works.

179
00:10:42,460 --> 00:10:45,500
Well, the one who is studying free software can understand it;

180
00:10:45,500 --> 00:10:49,300
The one who's studying a non-free program can't learn anything,

181
00:10:49,300 --> 00:10:54,300
because the knowledge in the non-free program is withheld,

182
00:10:54,300 --> 00:10:56,300
denied to the students.

183
00:10:56,300 --> 00:10:58,700
So, to uphold the spirit of education

184
00:10:58,700 --> 00:11:01,300
the school should make sure its programs are free.

185
00:11:01,300 --> 00:11:03,900
But there is an even more important reason.

186
00:11:03,900 --> 00:11:06,900
Schools should teach the spirit of goodwill,

187
00:11:06,900 --> 00:11:09,200
the habit of helping other people.

188
00:11:09,200 --> 00:11:11,200
So the class should say:

189
00:11:11,200 --> 00:11:15,600
“If you bring a program to class, just as if you bring cookies to class,

190
00:11:15,600 --> 00:11:17,900
you've got to share with everyone else.

191
00:11:17,900 --> 00:11:21,300
Can't keep it to yourself. You've got to share the source code

192
00:11:21,300 --> 00:11:23,300
so other people can learn.

193
00:11:23,300 --> 00:11:26,900
So, don't bring any proprietary software to this class.”

194
00:11:26,900 --> 00:11:31,900
The school has to set a good example by following its own rule;

195
00:11:31,900 --> 00:11:35,100
it should bring only free software to class, except

196
00:11:35,100 --> 00:11:38,400
as a reverse engineering exercise.

197
00:11:38,400 --> 00:11:41,700
Another obstacle is there is hardware

198
00:11:41,700 --> 00:11:44,400
we don't know how to write free software for

199
00:11:44,400 --> 00:11:47,200
because they won't tell us how to use the hardware.

200
00:11:47,200 --> 00:11:50,300
That's shocking. They want to sell you the product

201
00:11:50,300 --> 00:11:53,000
and they won't tell you how to use it. They say:

202
00:11:53,000 --> 00:11:55,700
“Here is a non-free program you can use.

203
00:11:55,700 --> 00:11:58,500
Run it, and shut up. Don't bother us.”

204
00:11:59,100 --> 00:12:03,740
Well, how do we find out how to run that hardware with reverse engineering?

205
00:12:03,740 --> 00:12:06,200
You've got to study all those zeros and ones

206
00:12:06,200 --> 00:12:08,500
to figure out what they really do,

207
00:12:08,500 --> 00:12:11,400
and write down how to use that hardware,

208
00:12:11,400 --> 00:12:14,000
so someone else can write the free program to do it.

209
00:12:14,000 --> 00:12:16,700
It's hard work, but it can be done.

210
00:12:16,700 --> 00:12:20,900
If you want to make a big technical contribution, that's what you should do.

211
00:12:20,900 --> 00:12:24,500
Each new area, activity of life

212
00:12:24,500 --> 00:12:28,700
can bring with it new human rights that are necessary.

213
00:12:28,700 --> 00:12:31,300
And the human rights depend on each other.

214
00:12:31,300 --> 00:12:35,300
If you lose one, it becomes harder to maintain the others.

215
00:12:35,300 --> 00:12:39,600
Nowadays, computing is so important in society

216
00:12:39,600 --> 00:12:41,900
that the freedoms of free software

217
00:12:41,900 --> 00:12:43,900
are among the human rights

218
00:12:43,900 --> 00:12:46,900
that society must establish and protect.

219
00:12:46,900 --> 00:12:51,500
Thus... How to help? Well, you can write free software.

220
00:12:51,500 --> 00:12:54,200
You can organize groups to campaign

221
00:12:54,200 --> 00:12:58,100
and push ***, schools and governments to move to free software.

222
00:12:58,100 --> 00:13:01,700
You can help other people when they have trouble using free software,

223
00:13:01,700 --> 00:13:03,700
or help them install it.

224
00:13:03,700 --> 00:13:07,900
You can say “free software”, and spread the philosophical ideas.

225
00:13:07,900 --> 00:13:11,000
Moving to free software is the first step

226
00:13:11,000 --> 00:13:13,300
in the liberation of cyberspace.

227
00:13:13,300 --> 00:13:15,300
But of course we also use the Internet.

228
00:13:15,300 --> 00:13:18,600
We need other freedoms there, like network neutrality,

229
00:13:18,600 --> 00:13:23,800
and putting an end to surveillance of people in general.

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.19+.

Haut de le page