trad-gnu - [Trad Gnu] Subtitles of RMS' TEDx talk

Objet : Liste de travail pour la traduction de la philosophie GNU (liste à inscription publique)

[Trad Gnu] Subtitles of RMS' TEDx talk

  • From: Thérèse Godefroy <tgodefroy AT april.org>
  • To: Devin Ulibarri <devinu AT fsf.org>
  • Cc: trad-gnu <trad-gnu AT april.org>
  • Subject: [Trad Gnu] Subtitles of RMS' TEDx talk
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:49:17 +0200

Hello Devin,

I was unable to watch the TEDx talk [1] with subtitles. But after
looking at the English and French files, I'm glad they don't work. It
seems that the English subtitles were made by a machine, and the French
ones are whole paragraphs, unfit for the job.

Revised versions are on audio-video.gnu.org [2].

The other languages are buggy too:

- Chinese subtitles don't exist. Anyway, the language code for Chinese
is zh, not ch, and the format should be WebVTT, not SubRip. Besides,
the track is labeled "Persian", with srclang="fa".

- Spanish and Persian subtitles are in the wrong format. They sould have
a WEBVTT header and .vtt extension.

Correct versions for Spanish and Persian are on audio-video.gnu.org [3], and I also made a vtt file for Portuguese [4] (srt is listed under the
video). These subtitles work locally.

There are also Russian subtitles on audio-video.gnu.org [5], but I'm not sure they are final because they are not on static.fsf.org.

Another small issue (not blocking for Firefox) is that <track> is not supposed to have a closing tag [6].

I hope you can fix the video on fsf.org. Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Thérèse

[1] https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/20140407-geneva-tedx-talk-free-software-free-society

[2] https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/rms-ted-talk.en.vtt